Susan Blexrud grew up in Orlando, Florida, and now divides her time between Orlando and Asheville, North Carolina, with her husband of 25 years, John, who proposed to her on New Year’s Eve 1985 on the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, halfway between Paris and Vienna. Their son Chris is a graduate student, and daughter Allison is a college sophomore. Susan has a Chihuahua named Baby (who figures prominently in her stories) and a cockatiel named Romeo. She is an avid reader, walker, biker, and Yoga enthusiast. She enjoys sewing quilts and bird watching (loves hummingbirds), and most of all, writing her next story.
- Susan holds a bachelor’s degree in Journalism from the University of Central Florida, and a master’s degree in Media Studies from Webster University, St. Louis.
- For the past 30 years, she has been a public relations professional. During her tenure as Director of Communications for the City of Orlando, she served as primary media contact for the city and as the mayor’s spokesperson.
- She is a member of Pink FireWriters, a writing critique group. She is on the board of directors of Youth OUTright, an Asheville-based non-profit organization that supports LGBTQ youth.
- Susan's advice for aspiring writers is to “Hang in there. Take classes in fiction process and fiction critique. When I began writing, I didn’t know the first thing about point of view or character development. You want your characters to come alive. Join a writing group, and most of all, write the book you want to read.”
- In 2008, Susan was a finalist in Twilighted’s first original fiction contest, and in 2009, she won second place in The Pen & Muse’s romantic short story contest. In 2010, Patricia Altner (Patricia's Vampire Notes) named Susan one of her 4 new discoveries.
- Susan welcomes comments. You can reach her at her e-mail address: email@example.com